Over the last few months, I seem to be on a roll creating summery burger recipes – especially burgers (on a “roll”, get it?)! It started with my Lamb, Roasted Red Pepper and Mint Burgers and has snowballed a little and now my brain won’t stop! The prospect of a barbecue is a strong inspiration and to be honest burgers are something really easy that I can make quickly or in short stages if I’m feeling a bit naff!
These are a bit more classic – let’s be honest, pork, apple and sage are a match made in heaven (as you’ll know if you’ve tried my Sausage rolls with onion and apple). The flavours form the foundation of most British roast pork dinners and are something we grow up eating. Personally, I am a little funny about pork in joint form- it always seems a bit tough and very fatty so I only really ever buy it in minced form and always make sure to get the lean version.
You may be amused to hear that my inability to make round food raised its ugly head again when trying to make round burgers (I was not amused). Eventually I gave in and used a burger mould. Kind of cheating but I won the great battle of Round Burger, although it is a little annoying that I can’t just make freeform round burgers and even more annoying that Kieran seemingly can!
As I’ve said the combination of flavours here is pretty classic – I do have some ideas for messing with them (you know how I just love messing with flavours). One idea I can’t get out of my head is changing the sage for some basil and/or oregano to try for a more Mediterranean type flavour. I don’t know how that will work out and, given the length of my “recipe experimentation” list, it may be next summer before we find out! Rest assured though, if it’s any good you’ll see it on the site!
So let me know what you think of the burgers via the comments section or by using the Contact Me form on the site. I’m also on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram so feel free to tag me in your posts – I love hearing from you!. Enjoy DDx.Print
Pork, Apple and Sage Burgers
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
Deliciously meaty pork burgers with hints of apple and sage
For the burgers:
- 250 g lean pork mince
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Burger buns/rolls
- Mayonnaise, salad etc for the rolls (we like a little wholegrain mustard mixed with mayonnaise and some peppery rocket)
- Put all the burger ingredients (apart from the olive oil) in a mixing bowl and mix together well with your hands.
- Divide into 2 burger patties and put on squares of baking paper on a plate. Chill for 1 hour to firm them up, making them easier to cook.
- When ready to cook, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. When hot add the burgers and cook for about 1 minute on each side to seal them. Continue to cook, turning occasionally until cooked through.
- While the burgers are cooking, prepare your buns with whatever salad, sauces etc you like.
- Put a burger on each prepared bun and serve.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes