I don’t use Tik-Tok. It’s not my kind of thing – if I’m honest I’ve only learned how to use Instagram and Twitter since doing the Dizzy Dieter. I’m really glad I am on Instagram because it’s like a scrolling feed of inspiration. Whenever I’m stuck on writing an article, I while away a quick half hour losing myself in my Instagram feed (which is 99% food and recipes) and without fail, it gets the creative juices going again.
However, not using platforms like Tik-Tok means I miss out on the first look at a lot of these so-called “viral” videos. Having seen a mention on Facebook about a viral Baked Feta recipe, I was intrigued. I love feta and use it all the time but, beyond using it in my Mediterranean vegetable crustless quiche I had never thought about baking it! So off I went to the kitchen to experiment (so excited that I didn’t even think to look up the original viral video to see what the deal was!). Now I have looked it up, I know that what I’ve done with it is a little different to the original viral but hey, I’m really happy with it!
Baking feta changes its texture and taste – not unrecognisably, just deliciously! It’s similar to how a camembert changes when you bake it. I use a lot of fresh feta in pastas and salads but this really is something else!
The tangy feta coupled with the rosemary and oregano give this pasta a lovely fresh Mediterranean feel. The roasted cherry tomatoes are sweet and fresh, and the roasted garlic just gently hums away in the background, complementing everything else. I’ve listed the capers as optional on the recipe because I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea. If you do like them (or want to try them) you should definitely give it a go with them as they give a lovely tang which balances out the richness of the dish!
I beg you to try this at least once as written because this combination of herbs is just so good, but I think it’s a recipe that is very open to experimentation in terms of herbs: a bit of parsley, basil, thyme or anything else that you love. I have also found that some green olives are an excellent addition, just stirred in right before you serve it, and there are so many other possibilities with this recipe that I’m pretty sure we are going to be eating it once a week, possibly until Doomsday!
So please let me know what you think of this recipe – use the comments section or via the Contact Me form on the site. I’m also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest so please feel free to reach out – I love hearing from you! Enjoy DDx.Print
Baked Feta and Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 400 g any dried pasta
- 200 g feta
- 680 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons capers (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat the oven to 200C / fan 180C.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into an oven dish and spread it over the base of the dish.
- Open and drain the block of feta and place in the middle of the oven dish. Surround it with the cherry tomatoes.
- Add the garlic cloves (unpeeled and whole) and whole sprigs of rosemary. Sprinkle over the dried oregano, a tiny pinch of salt and a good few twists of black pepper.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and beginning to burst. Remove the garlic cloves to a small plate to cool.
- Put the pasta in a large pan of cold, lightly salted water and put on a high heat to cook.
- (IF USING) Put the capers in a bowl of cold water to soak for a few minutes.
- Heat the remaining olive oil over a medium heat in a large frying pan. Add the sliced red onion and fry until soft.
- Squeeze the garlic flesh out of the roasted cloves into to the pan with the onion.
- Add the feta and cherry tomatoes into the pan with the onion and garlic and mix well – they should both start to break down and form a sauce. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the capers (IF USING) and stir them in.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add to the sauce. Mix well to coat the pasta, check the seasoning and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes